Tuesday, March 14, 2017

D1 and D2 State Predictions

State starts is less then two days so I figured I would do a quick run down of my picks and some final thoughts on each of the divisions and match ups.

Division One
Stevens Point vs Madison Memorial
I really thought Oshkosh North was a shoe in to get to state here but, Stevens Point kind of shocked everyone even though they are the two time defending champs. Sounds like they are peaking at the right time and 6'8 junior Joey Hauser is looking every bit of the top player in the state and 6'3 junior Drew Blair is gunning from the outside. Prior to the start of the playoffs I gave Memorial a 33% chance to state with Middleton and Sun Prairie getting 33% as well. Memorial's D proved to be the difference behind the shot blocking of 6'8 senior Chris Knight. Despite Memorial's defense I don't think they have anyone to match up with Hauser. Stevens Point should move on.

Arrowhead vs Brookfield Central
This really is a tough one. Central was able to take down the Milwaukee City Conference which surprised me a bit. Central has the great record but, when I saw them they didn't have a ton of athleticism or that WOW factor or a real go to scorer at least from what I saw. Central is just one of those teams that's just solid and don't overally impress you but, they always get the W. Haven't seen Arrowhead this year but, I love their point guard 5'11 senior Trevell Cunningham. If I recal right they have a lot of height but, will the have enough scoring? I'll take Brookfield Central in a bit of a coin flip.

Final 
Stevens Point over Brookfield Central
Hauser and their overall size will be too much for Central.

Division Two
La Crosse Central vs Waunakee
This game already happened about a month ago and Central straight up dominated and I don't see this game being much different. Waunakee will play straight up man to man and no one will be able to stop 6'4 senior Kobe King. On the other side King will guard Waunakee's top scorer 6'3 junior Mason Steffen. Steffen just didn't have the quickness to get around King or the elevation to shoot over him. Both these teams were expected to be here and the result is expected with La Crosse Central getting the win.

Milwaukee Washington vs Cedarburg
This game should really be an exciting one to watch. Both team like to score a lot and don't take a lot of time to do it. Washington loves to run and gun and Cedarburg has a pair of big time scorers in 6'4 junior John Diener and 6'5 senior Jordan Johnson. Both teams were incredibly tested in regionals and sectionals and deserve to be here. I think the D of Washington will turn Cedarburg over and lead to the Milwaukee Washington win.

Final 
La Crosse Central over Milwaukee Washington 
Everyone thinks that Central will just walk through this but, I wouldn't be completely shocked in any one of the other three teams were to beat them. I'll go with the favorite though if I was betting.

No comments: