Monday, January 14, 2019

Madison East over Middleton

Saturday night I took in Madison East at Middleton. This was my first chance getting to see Middleton play and they were playing the "top team" in the state. I use the " " because even though Madison East is ranked number one for D1 I believe  I have seen four teams that are better then them and would beat them head to head. I think that Brookfield Central, Sussex Hamilton, and Waukesha West would beat them in D1 as well as Nicolet in D2. No matter what though East is number one as it is right now. 

Middleton was their usual selves playing a ton of guys and constantly rotating players in and out. On the other side East's stars struggled a bit but, 5'10 senior Demontae Thompson really carried them. In the first half Middleton was able to play with East as East really struggled to get anything going as 6'3 junior Keonte Jones picked up two quick fouls and 6'3 junior Anthony Washington pick up two mid way through the first half, and Thompson did picked up his second one late in the first half. Isn't wasn't making any threes and they weren't able to get out in transition and score. At the half East was only up one. 

In the second half Madison East went to the a zone defense and Middleton had no answer for it. Middleton turned the ball over time and time again which led to run outs by East where Jones and Washington are at their best. I'll be honest I don't know how I feel about this East team on the state level but, each time I see them I come away more impressed and I seem to be pushing myself to believe that they have more and more of a chance to do something. Maybe East could even beat some of the top teams that I mentioned earlier. 

Top Players 
Demontae Thompson 5'10 senior Madison East- Seems to be playing his best basketball of the year. Off the dribble he's just so tough to stop and his pull up jumper off the dribble is a tough as any. He was really hitting that mid range shot in this game and Middleton had no answers for him defensively. 

Cole Deptula 6'3 junior Middleton- Didn't get on the court until late in the first half but, he made a huge impact. He was one of the few guys that was able to hit the three point shot tonight and was able to penetrate to the middle of the East zone and score. 

Box Score
Madison East 64- Thompson 23 Washington 11 Jones 9 David McKinley 9 Michael Mcintosh 6 Marcus Justice 4 Jevan Boyton 2 Ben Davis 0
Middleton 47- Deptula 14 Jack Klubertanz 12 Sam Close 9 Jack Boyle 4 Parker Van Buren 4 Henry Patterson 2 Wyatt Wirkus 2 Chandon Thomas 0 Casey Hellendbrand 0 Ben Scher 0 Billy Johnson 0

Well I've already state most of my East thoughts and honestly there just isn't much there for Middleton right now. This year will probably be a rough one. 

No comments: