Thursday, February 25, 2010

D4 state predictions

Normally I would do my player rankings at this time but, since the state tournament will be starting in less then a week. Typically I would start with D1 and go down but, since the big Madison Memorial vs Madison East game is tonight I will be going the opposite direction so I will know the outcome of that game close. Will also try to see if I can get the game on the net. Well here are my predictions for D4. Honestly I really don't know a ton about D4 so I will go with what I've heard and read about teams and by their records and who they've played. My favorite is the team that I believe will make it to state. My contenders are teams that could just as easily make it to state and then my darkhorse or longshots are teams that could make a state run if things go their way.

Spooner Sectional

Favorite
Marshfield Columbus- All year long they have been one of the top teams and play in a fairly strong conference that should of prepared them for a strong tournament run.

Contenders
Clayton- I don't know a thing about Clayton but, they have the best record in the sectional and seemed to be the favorite among the majority of people.
Luck- Have been to state in recent years and have the Mortel twins and a super senior in Carson Giller.

Appleton North
Green Lake- Have lots of height and athleticism. Don't have a lot of depth but, what team in D4 does?

Contenders
Wauasau Newman- Was early season favorite to get to state and a lot of people seem to be sticking with them.

Darkhorse
Suring- Have the experience of being at state a couple years ago and still have the same coach and high scoring junior Chad Strehlow.

Onalaska
Mcdonell Central- Play in a very tough D3 conference and nearly everyone has them as the odds on favorite to get to state.

Darkhorse
North Crawford- I honestly don't see another team that sticks out to me but, North Crawford has best record in sectional.

Fort Atkinson
Randolph- Easily the best sectional of them all. Randolph will probably face their toughest competition in the sectional semi and final. They have been beating D1s all year and can't imagine a D4 beating them without getting some luck.

Contenders
Sheboygan County Christian- Only team to beat Randolph a year ago and return majority of their team.
Racine Lutheran- Another team that has been playing bigger schools all year long and should be battle tested for the playoffs.
Benton- Defending state champs seem to be clicking at the right time behind their two returning starters from a year ago.
Barnveld- Are led by one of the top players in D4 in Logan Johnson.

Darhorse
Catholic Central- Not a great record but, play in a conference with some of the best D2 and D3 teams in the state.

State Predictions
Green Lake over Marshfield Columbus- Green Lake is just to big and are very athletic.

Randolph over Mcdonell Central- Kyle Kelm will dominate.

Randolph over Green Lake- Randolph has defeated them once before this year and this game should be no different. Expect a bigger game from Kelm then what he had in their first matchup.

Just like years past D4 goes through Randolph and this year will be no different. If Randolph is upset I believe that it will happen at the sectional level and whoever comes out of the Fort Atkinson sectional will win state. The southeast sectional might be the toughest D4 sectional that their has ever been.

No comments: