Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Softball League Thoughts

I already covered my tournament team from last year so now its time to move on to league talk. Last year I played in three different softball leagues. On Tuesday nights I played in Baraboo, Wednesday nights Mauston, and Sunday nights Mauston Coed.

Baraboo league had three different leagues which was split into A, B, and C league. I played with Monks and we were in the B league. B league was about right for us because we could compete with everyone in the league and would probably get killed in A league. We were a very streaky hitting team and made a lot of errors in the infield. With those two things working against us pitching was huge. The first half of the year our pitching was pretty rough which led to our team really struggling to win in the first half. Midway through the season we switched pitchers which turned our team around as we finished the season pretty strong. I had a fairly strong year there as I batted 3rd and played left center. I hit about five home runs during the year.

Mauston league had seven teams in the league with three very good teams and four bad teams. I played with Anjeros and we pretty much dominated the league until we lost in one of the final games of the year to Harmony 2 and then in the playoffs we ended up losing to Harmony 1 in the championship game. I typically played 2nd, 3rd, right center, and a little bit of left center and batted anywhere from second, fourth, sixth or eighth. I believe I had around six home runs on the year and batted around .600 or so.

My final league was a church coed team. When we were at full strength we basically dominated as we went on to win the championship and only have two loses on the season. This league is very weak as only two other teams could compete with us the majority of the time.

This year I'll be having my own team in the Dells this year so I won't be playing in Baraboo this year. Our team should be a middle of the road team. We don't have a lot of overall team power but, our team has a lot of team speed which should work to our advantage on a big field and we play some pretty good defense. Mauston we will once again be one of the top teams in the league. We lose one of our best players in our lead off and left center fielder but, we should be able to replace him easy enough and my brother may be added to the team. As far as coed goes I'll probably only play part time when it doesn't conflict with tournaments.

As you can see by my posts I'm getting pretty excited for the season to start. May 10 is our first tournament and May 19 Dells league starts. Not sure on the other leagues yet.

No comments: